Most of us know what the dental plaque is. It is a sticky soft material made of bacteria that gets accumulated on the teeth. When you do not brush your teeth, it becomes more noticeable.
Cause of plaque formation and reason it is harmful
When the remains of foods consisting of carbohydrates, sugars and starch are left on the teeth, the bacteria present in the mouth interact with those food remains and turn them into plaque formation. The food remains mentioned in this regard are what the bacteria like the most. They consume it and leave a sticky byproduct on the teeth. This byproduct, plaque, is the combination of both the nutrients and bacterial acids. Now, cleaning the teeth and getting rid of plaque is very important. If you are not taking good care of your oral hygiene, the plaque can turn into tartar which can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
Prevention of plaque
While you can always get treated to get rid of the plaque if it gets hardened, it would be even more ideal if you prevent it in first place. A few ways to prevent plaque are worth mentioning in this regard.
- Maintaining oral hygiene is the best thing that you can do to prevent formation of plaque. For this purpose, you have to make sure that you brush your teeth twice in every day. The brushing technique needs to be very effective to ensure better cleanliness. Moreover, you have to make sure that you are using a toothbrush with soft bristles.
- The food can get trapped between the teeth and cause formation of plaque and tarter in those areas. These interdental spaces cannot be cleaned with the help of toothbrush. Therefore, you need to floss your teeth at least once on daily basis. This flossing can help you get rid of the foods remains.
- To reduce the risk of bacterial infections, you need to use a fluoridated and antibacterial mouthwash.
- You need to visit your dentist after every 6 months to get your teeth, gums and other areas of your oral cavity checked. This dental visit is going to help you not only in maintaining your oral health but also overall health.
- If you find out that fissures and pits in the back teeth are not easy to clean, you can ask your dentist to apply sealants so that those teeth do not become infected due to plaque formation. In fact, your dentist is going to tell you that need sealants to protect your teeth.
- Last but not the least; you need to make sure that you eat a balanced diet. Fast foods and the ones that are processed are not going to be good both oral and overall health. While it may not be possible for you to quit the consumption of those foods completely, you can reduce the practice.
Taking care of your dental health requires attention. The first thing that you will have to make sure is the avoidance of plaque formation. Above mentioned tips are surely going to help you in this regard.